Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on January 31, 2006 at 05:44:26:

I think the Big Lot’s boxes were 15 sq ft, but I wasn’t wearing my glasses.

Tye

Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on January 29, 2006 at 19:38:49:

Took a wrong turn in Raleigh this morning & found myself in front of Home Depot, so figured it was fate beckoning. Discovered absolutely gorgeous special purchase redwood vinyl stick-um tiles for 69¢, so immediately abandoned my plan to laminate the LR floor in a recently vacant 3/2. Have to replace the carpet primarily because it REEKS of smoke (it’s overwhelming even to prospects who smoke). Laminate is cheap right now, 98¢ @ Lowe’s & 97¢ @ Home Depot, so was planning on doing that right away. However, add to the fact the vinyl is so nice (& so cheap) that I can lay it w/my own labor, I think it was the right choice.

This was my day for bargains. Stopped @ Lowe’s, too, & picked up a factory serviced dishwasher for my to-be-installed-soon 2/2 for only $50. Manager also cut the 50% off price on an oak-manteled electric fireplace for my rehab. Original price was $378 & I got it for $150. Lowe’s new mgr is my new best friend. (Tip: if it is already on sale it means the store wants to move it, so it never hurts to ask for a bigger discount.) I’ll post a pic as soon as I get it installed. The LR evidently originally had a fireplace, so this is perfect, + it should really set off the oak laminate. Not only w/this unit be irresistible, but I don’t think I’ll have trouble getting a much higher price now.

Lowe’s has all of their fireplaces on half-price sale now, so get 'em while you can–the last week of Jan is one of my fav shopping dates, markdowns are the best.

Tye

Re: Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on January 29, 2006 at 21:30:04:

I haven’t been in Lowe’s in quite some time, but just bought a couple pallets of laminate at Home Depot last week. It was about .88/ft. I was in there yesterday and see they have some even cheaper now - .80/ft. Combine that w/ a 10% off coupon that I get in the mail every so often and that’s a pretty good deal, I think. I may go buy another pallet.

Sounds like you got some good deals. I love that laminate. Have you done ceramic tile in any of yours? I’ve done some in my rentals and am not sure if I like it or not. My thinking was long-term durability . . . but . . I don’t know. What’s your experience?

Regards,
Michael(KCMO)

Re: Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on January 30, 2006 at 06:55:58:

I haven’t done any mh countertops, but have done many in stick-built–everything from laminate to tile to marble to butcher block oak. The problem w/tile in a mh is the cleaning. I would certainly do very dark grout. Think I would also do the very large tiles so there is less grout, then seal the grout. Home Depot always seems to have something for c. 78¢. I’ve even bought real marble tiles there very cheap. If the existing laminate is sound, you can actually laminate or tile right over it (lightly sand 1st). Another thing I might try next time is a visit to the local yard where they do granite, etc. counters. Whenever I drive by I notice lots of large scraps that seem perfect for small mh kitchens. Granite tiles are also reasonable @ Home Dept.

I tiled over laminate in my own 3 bathrooms solely because it was cheap & easy to do over existing laminate. In one I used different colors–white w/a scattering of cobalt & pink (because there is a pink bathtub I couldn’t readily remove). The combo is bright enough to distract the eye from the tub. I hand-painted undersea pics (turtle, mermaid, etc) on the backsplash tiles w/a paint that fires permanent in the oven. No one notices the pink tub @ all now.

Bathroom #2 is light sage green & white tiles, laid on the diagonal w/a killer white sink & fancy faucet trimmed in white porcelain. I painted palm trees on only two of the backsplash tiles. The theme in that bathroom is slightly tropical & the tile job really looks trendy for an extremely cheap price.

Bathroom #3 is very small, so splurged on tumbled marble tiles from Lowe’s. Love 'em (but don’t forget they are porous, so need a finish coat of poly, satin or semi-gloss). That bath is adjacent to the laundry room, so finished off a new laundry sink w/the marble tiles to match. The sink is so big it only took a few tiles.

Congrats on the laminate buy–that’s even better than I found. Love that stuff–my only problem now is scheduling my handyman to lay it. I’m in a hurry this week, so w/give the redwood vinyl a shot so it w/show better right away. The carpet appearance isn’t that bad, but oh, the odor. I need to rip it out just so I can stand to clean & paint–

Tye

Re: Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Rikki

Posted by Rikki on January 30, 2006 at 16:32:02:

Went to Big Lots in Rocky Mount 2 days ago. They had 3 packs of laminate flooring for $19.99 each. Thinking about it now, I probably should have bought it just in case it was needed in the future. It was surely enough to cover a small bathroom.

Re: Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on January 30, 2006 at 21:52:42:

Just put over 800 sf in a double wide from Menard’s at $.79 sf. It’s the cushion/vapor barrior that pushes it up at about $24.95 per 99 sf for the cheapest. Anyone have a less costly source or idea?

Re: Bargain Shopping Today - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on January 30, 2006 at 16:35:32:

Rikki, can’t remember how many square ft in the packs @ Big Lot’s, but if I figured it right when I saw it there, too, it was actually cheaper @ Lowe’s & Home Depot.

Tye

#‘s of sf in a box o’ laminate - Posted by Steve Wiltz-WA

Posted by Steve Wiltz-WA on January 30, 2006 at 21:48:13:

I have seen 19 sf in cheap boxes, to 25 sf in higher end stuff