Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by Vince

Posted by Gerald-DC on January 29, 2002 at 10:55:09:

Tarun,

I’ve never had problems in Montgomery problems other than having the signs ripped down. The guy who called from DC did call from a DC govt number and he “sounded” like an aspiring politician “very full of himself by saving the world by protecting it from bandit signs.”

I have gotten two calls this week, yes its only Tuesday, from the Cheverly Police Department about signs. Seems they have a special unit to deal with bandit signs and I am apparently a wanted man in Chervely if I don’t hot tail it over there and take them down.

Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by Vince

Posted by Vince on January 26, 2002 at 13:37:39:

Has anyone else had problems with other investors in town constantly taking down your signs? How did you deal with it?

Re: Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by Kent C

Posted by Kent C on January 27, 2002 at 05:38:37:

Circulate flyers with his ph number.
“Beer Bust…this Saturday…Bring your Harley and your Babes…”

(grin) Now you know why JP doesnt let me comment on the legal site.

Re: Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by Kent

Posted by Kent on January 27, 2002 at 05:35:49:

Circulate flyers with his ph number.
“Beer Bust…this Saturday…Bring your Harley and your Babes…”

(grin)

Are You Sure It Is Another Investor? - Posted by Alan in Houston

Posted by Alan in Houston on January 26, 2002 at 18:35:10:

Here in Houston we have a group of citizens who do a good job of taking signs down quickly. They even have a website promoting thier cause.

http://www.causs.org/

Have you seen the person taking your signs?

Re: Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by ejs

Posted by ejs on January 26, 2002 at 18:07:12:

Vince,
Tell him If he don’t stop it you will poke him in the eye.

Re: Bandit Sign Trouble/Competition ripping down - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on January 26, 2002 at 15:43:16:

Vince,

I had a small problem with another person who would put their signs either on or next to mine. I just ignored them and in a few months they were gone.

Now, I would call him up and tell him that you are having problems with someone taking your signs down. See what he has to say and even ask him for advice. Play it like you don’t know its him. Also, don’t leave a message on his machine, make sure you talk to him.

Tim

Re: Are You Sure It Is Another Investor? - Posted by Gerald-DC

Posted by Gerald-DC on January 26, 2002 at 20:45:11:

Yesterday I got a call from the DC government informing me that my signs violated several city laws and I had better take all of them down or face a fine of $35.00 per sign.

He told me that his call was a curtesey call and that the offending sign “I BUY UGLY HOUSES” was removed and that I had better get the rest of them down pronto.

The little twerp that called me admonished me for violating the beauty of the city. I reminded him of the potholes, abandoned buildings and trash filled alleys that are far more deserving of action than my little ole signs.

I have no intentions of removing any of my signs and plan on adding more tomorrow.

Re: Are You Sure It Is Another Investor? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on January 27, 2002 at 19:20:10:

How do you know he was a ‘little twerp’? This is either the bravest act of civil disobediance I have seen in awhile or the dumbest.

Re: Are You Sure It Is Another Investor? - Posted by Tarun_MD

Posted by Tarun_MD on January 27, 2002 at 06:57:35:

Gerald,
I would have asked him for his name, number, and the exact code that you are violating by putting signs up. Sometimes, individuals other than the code enforcement will call you pretending to be code enforcement.
Also, I don’t know about DC but you better be careful in Montgomery count. I have had code enforcement call me just days after putting my signs up. And this has happened on more than one occasion.
Needless to say, I don’t put signs up in Montgomery county anymore.
Maybe you’ll have more luck.
Good luck!
Tarun
p.s…I also got a call from Lisa who you refferred to me(I think)…she wanted to know more about land trusts and I refferred her to the attorney I have used.

Re: Are You Sure It Is Another Investor? - Posted by Gerald-DC

Posted by Gerald-DC on January 29, 2002 at 12:01:22:

What the heck is YOUR problem. Tell me JD what value is your snide remarks? Then again, given the simplistic nature of your remarks, it is doubtful that your comments have any value to anyone.

“How do you know he was a little twerp”?

WHO CARES? JD does it matter if he was a little twerp or a stud muffin? Talk about a dumb question unless, of course you are little twerp and I hurt your feeling. If I hurt your feelings, please accept my apology.

Civil disobedience-- I live in Washington, DC and have lived Brooklyn, NY and a couple of other large cities. If you think leaving a bandit sign up is a brave act or a stupid act then you need to get off the farm more often. Using your unremarkable reasoning, driving 57 miles per hour when the speed limit is 55 is civil disobedience. What a bunch of crap.

I just don’t understand why people like you post such snide, negative, condescending posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter at hand.

JD I grew up doing the civil rights movement where Civil Disobedience lead to the arrest and deaths of thousands of people and change in laws. So when a fool like you states that leaving a bandit sign up is the bravest or stupidest act of civil disobedience they have seen in a while, it really saddens me.

Get a grip.