Approaching Park Managers - Posted by Rod - MO

Posted by ScottH on June 15, 2003 at 01:42:00:

I am in the St. Louis (St. Charles Area) and welcome any advice (local tips). I have been renting 2 MH Section 8 for about 18 mos. Would not mind getting info!

Scott H

Approaching Park Managers - Posted by Rod - MO

Posted by Rod - MO on June 14, 2003 at 22:04:33:

I thought about calling this one ‘A duh! moment’ and here’s why. As a metter of habit, I haven’t posted unless I was responding to a comment. And then the duh! moment. I enjoy reading some of the comments, and I didn’t ask the question that prompted the writer, maybe others would like to read what I have to say.

Anyway, when I started in this business (oh, about 3 weeks ago) I was blissfully ignorant of the problems of making deals with park managers. In the 1st day, I approached 3, using my down home southern style, and made deals with 3 PMs to buy and sell in their parks. No donuts, just chatting. The third was the best - far better than I had hoped for. After listening to 10 minutes of rules, I told him I expected nothing less because I don’t want my reputation shot either. He agreed to let me work in his community, and as I was leaving he stopped me and sweetened the pot. I get $3,500 for every MH I move into the community, cash up front, $100 a month off the lot rent in exchange for a 12 month lease, and I can satisfy the lease by getting the new owner to sign a similar 12 month lease. So I get move than the cost of a move and setup, the buyer gets a $1200 incentive to buy from me, and everybody is happy. Especially me.

Just how easy can this get?

Rod

WHAT, no donuts ??? - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on June 15, 2003 at 20:58:28:

You’re doing great Rod. I have one comment that I can’t resist.

If it were me, I’d be trading tax-sale lots to movers and setup people at about 10 cents on the dollar and then collect the $3,500 move-in allowance and use it to pay cash for the mobile homes that I move in. You can get free mobiles that way, so next time you can afford real donuts.

No law says you need to give up that $100 per month unless you are generous and just like giving money away. If you are just going to give it away, at least don’t give it away for free. My libido would roll over in its cave. Make a deal with them. Say that if they make all of their payments to you on time you will give them $1,000 cash bonus for the Christmas following the payoff. You do make your puppy sit up before throwing him a doggie bon bon don’t you?

Rod, since you are so generous you can use the remaining $200 to send to the West Coast Big Mac Relief Fund, Inc. Phone me and I’ll look up m…, er, their address for you.

Regards, doc

Re: Approaching Park Managers - Posted by Ray-SRQ

Posted by Ray-SRQ on June 14, 2003 at 22:23:39:

WOW! That’s great, especially the incentive. First I’ve heard of such a generous incentive, really, so you’re in PRIME position to do well! Congratulations.

Can you share with some of us the spiel you gave the PMs? Also, were any of these 55+ parks?

Thanks,
Ray

Re: WHAT, no donuts ??? - Posted by Rod - MO

Posted by Rod - MO on June 16, 2003 at 20:52:02:

Doc,
Tried to post earlier AOL is having fun with me, so I’ll try again.

I thought about the tax lot angle and decided not for nwo. I think I can do better. In Mo., it takes 2 years to get a celar deed from a tax sale. In that time, the owner can pay up for roughly 10% per year and keep his property. I think I’ll try a deal an old-timer fromthe southern end of the state told me about. Find a home that has to be removed (city project, etc.) in reasonable shape, and move it to the lot. $6000, 2 years, and turn it into $50000. Even if all I do is sell the lot, I’m still ahead. I guess CA is a better tax sale environment.

As for the $100 a month, I can only keep that if I am paying the rent. Haven’t got this CM to let me sub-lease the lot (yet). And I don’t want the buyer to pay off. I want them to sell it back to me when they have less than 6 months left, for what they owe. :slight_smile: I may try the offer someday anyway, but for less, just to see what happens. Maybe I’ll find some will pay on time and still give me the mobile back.

Rod

Re: Approaching Park Managers - Posted by Rod - MO

Posted by Rod - MO on June 16, 2003 at 19:16:01:

Hi, all!

My normal spiel is to just tell them straight up who I am and what I want to do. I think the trick to getting them to cooperate is not the spiel, but the attitude I approach them with. I am a professional equal, not better or worse, I recognize their position and that they are in business to make money too, and I make sure they know I support their rules. One thing I found that is important is in the name. If the sign at the entrance says community, I call it a community. Seems like a sensitive subject to some.

Ray, none of the parts are adult parks. The only one I saw here I don’t think I would be willing to do business in. Looked more like a slum.

Yesterday I was cleaning a mobile I bought Saturday (first one in that park) and on the way out I ran into the PM watering his bushes, so I stopped to chat. He tipped me on another mobile in the park that could be had on the cheap, and told me I would probably still be there after I rented the one I just bought. ??? When I made a deal with him 3 weeks ago he was adament - no rentals! I started to ask him about that and he interrupted me with ‘We’ll just write it up as a lease option’. I’m guessing it is a prime Section 8 area, so I’ll have to bone up on that.

I guess the moral of this is don’t try to sell your business. Let them sell you theirs. After all, how many times do you really listen to a sales pitch? Make it a win-win.

Rod

Re: Approaching Park Managers - Posted by Ryan_MO

Posted by Ryan_MO on June 14, 2003 at 23:56:33:

Hey Ray, my name is Ryan and I invest in MH’s in the St. Louis area. Are you in St. Louis as well? Maybe we could pick each others brains for info and leads. I currently have several leads that I cant persue because of the lack of money. Its all going to a park I am buying and one other lonnie deal. Give me a holler back and maybe we could chat about Mobiles here in the good ole Lou.

Ryan