appliances of landlords - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Redline on December 22, 1998 at 10:24:03:

I think that in NJ the law states that the landlord has to supply a cooking stove and so probably is also responsible for keeping it in working order. A refrigerator is not required.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.
RL

appliances of landlords - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 21, 1998 at 21:37:40:

For any landlords out there, a quick question/poll on how you treat appliances (refrigerator, stove, etc.) in your rentals.

1. When they break I (landlord) fix them. This is what most tenants would desire of course.

2. Have the appliances in there AS IS. If the tenants don’t want them in there, I will remove them and they can install their own. If they break, tenants pay 100% of repair cost or do without them.

Any feedback as how you deal with this or how tenants respond to #2 above would be appreciated. I am seriously considering converting to #2 but wanted to get y’alls feedback.

Happy Holidays.

Re: appliances of landlords - Posted by John Katitus

Posted by John Katitus on December 22, 1998 at 01:24:58:

Hi Rob. I have been enjoying your input on the board for the last few months. I am glad to have an opportunity to respond.

I have done #2 for about four years. Since you are putting the appliances there at the beginning of tenancy, the people are happy that you solved their appliance problem and are completely receptive to repairing them if the need arises.

For information, my clause reads:
APPLIANCES–The Property is rented without appliances. The above rental payment specifically EXCLUDES all appliances of any kind. Although there may be appliances on the Property, such as a refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer, or garbage compactor, use of these appliances is not included in the rent. Such appliances as are in the property, are there solely at the convenience of the Landlord, who assumes no responsibility for their operation. If Tenants desire to use these appliances, they agree to assume all responsibility for care, repair, and maintenance. At the end of tenancy, Tenants must return all appliances to the Landlord in the same condition as at the beginning of the tenancy. Landlord
agrees to remove his appliances at the request of tenant.

Re: appliances of landlords - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on December 23, 1998 at 05:44:05:

thanks for the lease language ! I have just started supplying appliances and was worried about the repair costs.

Laure :slight_smile: