Any Marketing Pro's in the Room? - Posted by Shane

Posted by Shane on December 12, 2002 at 10:45:34:

First, when I asked if you were speculating, I really wanted to know. I am not one of those people that posts for advice, then bashes the person that gives advice that I don’t want to hear. If you say that a billboard wouldn’t be the best use of markerting funds, then give me some other ideas. I have a good response ratio from all of my other advertising, but I am looking for a new way to rise above my competition. I am making pretty good money, as I am sure you are, but I know there is higher to go up this mountain I’m climbing. Have you tried anything new recently that has made you more visible than your competition? Commercials? Radio? Sky writing, LOL? Anyways, thanks for the advice, tell me more about what you do.

Someone (think it was Tim?) was talking about something they did to a truck. Just curious, what did you do to make it visible from Auston, TX?

I have a guy here that does full color vinyl graphics that said, if I bought a van (you can find a nice older van here for like 800 bucks) he would print graphics for the whole van for free. Catch, if I let him put a 2’X2’ ad on the rear for his printing co. Good Idea? What do you think?

Any Marketing Pro’s in the Room? - Posted by Shane

Posted by Shane on December 11, 2002 at 09:59:09:

I am going to be putting up a billboard. Anyone have any good ideas for the whole thing. I am pretty creative myself and sort of have an idea, but I am open to any suggestions. Just thought I would throw it out there. Any response is appreciated.

Shane

Re: Any Marketing Pro’s in the Room? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on December 11, 2002 at 19:28:37:

Yes, I have a suggestion:

Don’t do the billboard.

It’s an extreme waste of money.

Ask anyone who’s actually done them and they’ll tell you that the ROI on them sux.

Furthermore, does your service appeal to the masses? If not, then why would you use “mass” advertising.

If you’re looking for sellers, the market for your service is probably less than 5% of all people over 18 years of age who own their own home.

Why not use something targeted, and cheaper, and more PROFITABLE, instead?

I’ll match your billboard expense and invest the money in lower-cost, more effective methods, and I’ll net at least 500% more than you will.

It just doesn’t make sense.

Instead of looking for how to make a big “splash,” you should be continuously looking for cheaper, more effective, low-cost ways to generate leads.

And billboards are about as far from that as possible.

Billboards? friend or foe? - Posted by Shane

Posted by Shane on December 11, 2002 at 23:25:07:

Makes perfect sense, if mass advertising didn’t work at all. I know our business is not as noticable as the new Rolex at Mayors, but I think there sure is a big market that could be attracted. My thinking is, my bandit signs are mass advertising and they are my biggest lead generators and they are 24"x18". More people would notice something 50 feet in the air and 15’X35’, right?

Do you really know people that have used them or were you just speculating?

Anyone else that has actually used billboards? Same feelings about them as rm?

So… - Posted by Duane

Posted by Duane on December 11, 2002 at 23:24:07:

…what would be the more effective, lower cost method you’re speaking of? I’ve been racking my brain on this one. If the distressed home owner isn’t reading their mail, what are they reading?

Re: Billboards? friend or foe? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on December 12, 2002 at 06:40:12:

No, I was not speculating, but thank you for asking.

I know at least 7 other individuals who have “tried” billboards and all of them, except one, regretted the move.

The one who was successful bought remnant space- at a HUGE discount- so he had several billboards at the same time.

Bandit signs are effective. But read my posts- I’m cautioning someone who’s going to pay a heck of a lot more for his ONE “bandit sign” than you could spend in several lifetimes on yours.

Furthermore, most people completely ignore the mass advertising that they see in conventional media.

Despite all the weight loss, work from home, we buy homes, etc. bandits, they still work because they’re not yet seen as conventional.

So, while a billboard is “bigger,” it’s not “better”- the cost per lead generated is exorbitant.

Re: So… - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on December 12, 2002 at 06:48:48:

Who said they’re not reading their mail?

And if they’re not reading yours, there are literally hundreds of ways you can change that.

Dan Kennedy has great material on this, which is based on testing and actual experience.

If you are seriously looking for ideas on how to improve your marketing, find his site on the internet.

In another thread, I also mentioned Paul and Sarah Edward’s book, “How to get business to come to you.”

Ron Starr mentioned in a related thread a few days ago how he simply targets the people who would know about potential deals before anyone else would.

That’s a fantastic idea, and far more cost- time-efficient than finding ALL of your deals yourself.