answering phone calls - Posted by steve-o

Posted by MikeJ-Fl on March 08, 2004 at 15:01:50:

I agree that’s probably the best solution - for someone who is fairly established. The web site idea is probably always a good one in this day and age. But I think that for someone just starting, the experience of handling customers yourself on the phone is invaluable. Not to mention monetary constraints.

answering phone calls - Posted by steve-o

Posted by steve-o on March 08, 2004 at 12:32:50:

How would you guys answer the phone if you did not have a business set up yet? Just saying hello sounds sorta cheesy. Any ideas?

Re: answering phone calls - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on March 08, 2004 at 14:56:16:

Steve,

I office out of home. What I do when a business call comes in is answer by saying “Good morning/afternoon this is Rich”.

It sounds alot better than just saying hello.

I’m not big on the answering service deal. I feel if you want to do business you have to pick up the phone or have a personal voice mail box.

Just a few thoughts,

RichV(FL)

Re: answering phone calls - Posted by kawikaCA

Posted by kawikaCA on March 08, 2004 at 13:30:01:

Some gurus will tell you that you shouldn’t even be answering the phone. They should be going to a voicemail or web site (for retailers or birddogs) or answering service (for sellers). Or they all could go to an assistant.

The caller would answer some questions then only after you pre-screen their answers do you call them back and only the one’s you want to talk to.

Re: answering phone calls - Posted by MikeJ-Fl

Posted by MikeJ-Fl on March 08, 2004 at 12:39:04:

Decide on a bussiness name, make sure it’s not already taken, and start using it. Plan on setting up the business legally as soon as possible. Or you could just answer with, " This is Steve-o, how can I help you?" Yes just saying hello sounds very cheesy, and makes you look unprofessional. I very rarely do business with anyone who does so.