A Question regarding MH Sellers and Realtors - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Soapymac on December 04, 1998 at 09:21:16:

In your letter you may want to note that:

1. A broker will set the price to cover his commission. That MAY price the MH unrealistically high.

2. The broker has tied up the sale of the home to you. You will not step on the broker’s toes and go behind his back. If the broker performs…good for you!

3. If the broker does not perform, I would still have an interest after your contractual obligation is up.

If the broker ties it up for 90 days and does not perform, the owner will call you. It now gives you a motivated seller…and 90 days down the road the MH is worth LESS allowing you to renegotiate your offer.

Just a thought.

Saopymac

A Question regarding MH Sellers and Realtors - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on December 04, 1998 at 03:59:26:

Okay I have noticed that a few people whom I have been working with (on) in buying their Used Mobile Home have suddenly been approached by a local realtor who deals only in mobile homes. Needless-to-say they (the sellers) now unfortionatly beleive that their home is worth much more than it realistically is. Okay no problem, I beleive in competition and a challenge and all of that.
Now I’m thinking about sending these folks (the seller) a nice professional letter saying that if the realtor doesn’t sell their home and if they become dissatisfied with the realtor, after their contract is up, to keep me in mind and give me a call.
What if any would be the repercussions back on me? I am not a realtor so there isn’t any disclosure problems that I’m aware of. And I would state that I am a Private party in my letter.
I have came across several sellers who have been really dissatisfied with this particular company.
Or should I just take note of the date that I see the realtor sign go in the window and put the address in my follow-up file and check back with the seller in like 90 days?
Also I am in CA.
Thanks in advance for any insights to this,
Dirk Roach

Re: A Question regarding MH Sellers and Realtors - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on December 05, 1998 at 04:37:22:

Hi Dirk,

Your situation is common in markets where mobile homes are selling at values above avg retail. In my area however, mobile homes are considered personal property, depending on the method of attachment to the real estate, and are not covered under current Real Estate regulations. Therefore, you have every right to solicit the sale or purchase of the home. ie; the realtor/agent/broker may or may not be legally entitled to a commission even if you step on his/her toes depending on your state laws concerning mobile home dealers. ie; he/she may be required to have a mh dealers lic to sell mh’s in a brokerage situation.

David S

Re: A Question regarding MH Sellers and Realtors - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 04, 1998 at 09:30:27:

Hi Dirk,

I see no problem with you sending the mobile home owner a letter stating that you are interested in purchasing. Follow up during the listing period would be beneficial to you in that it keeps your name fresh in the sellers mind.

Be careful that the seller does not give your name to the realtor. The realtor may try to claim a commission. The realtor may call you up and then use that as justifying their commission, even after the listing has expired.