1031 exchanges - National or local intermediary? - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by Gary (CT) on May 04, 2004 at 18:47:44:

We’ve done several with a national company. We have done cross-country exchanges too. I would recommend the company if you e-mail me personally. Occasionally, there are some problems that a local bank might screw up. At least, this has been our experience–the national company is extremely professional and knowledgeable. We have done some relatively complicated maneuvers. Good luck, and e-mail me if you want the recommendation. Gary

1031 exchanges - National or local intermediary? - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by John(NH) on May 03, 2004 at 15:32:24:

I’m looking to sell my investment properties up here and move across country. Should I use a national intermediary to do the exchange (any recommendations?) or one local to where I’m moving to. Anyone that could share their 1031 experiences would be appreciated!

1031 exchanges - National or local intermediary? - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on May 04, 2004 at 14:35:41:

I used the trust department at my local bank as my exchange escrow agent. I live in SC, my relinquished property was in OH and my replacement property is located in MD. Wire transfers work almost everywhere.

National… - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on May 03, 2004 at 17:40:28:

I recommend a national firm for safety reasons. You have to think about what could happen to your money. A small mom and pop office could just take off with the money. There is no insurance or any other kind of protection for this. If they take off with your money, it is gone, period.